Beginning writing in fiction and poetry, other modes by request. Workshop approach, with discussion of work by class members and instructor. Reading of contemporary fiction, poetry, and theory. This class may include students from multiple sections. (Humanities-Performance, Elective)
ENGL& 101 or instructor permission
- Demonstrate an understanding of the elements of fiction/poetry/drama.
- Generate and revise a portfolio of 15-30 pages of poetry, fiction, creative non-fiction, drama, and/or other genres.
- Analyze creative writing by professional writers and identify the elements of fiction and poetry therein.
- Demonstrate an ability to objectively analyze and critique peer writing.
- Utilize appropriate vocabulary/terminology in regard to analysis of professional and student writing.
- Demonstrate an ability to revise works in response to workshop feedback and personal choice.
- Demonstrate some awareness of cultural and historical context as they apply to interpreting works of poetry/fiction/drama.