ENGL 240 : Children’s Literature
An examination of the variety and diversity of literature that forms a part of the imaginative experience of children and adolescents, as well as a part of a larger literary heritage, viewed in the light of their social, psychological, political, and moral implications. Exploration of book format, major genres, and works buy notable authors and illustrators. (H)
ENGL& 101 or permission of instructor.
- List criteria for excellence in children’s books in general and by specific types.
- Evaluate children’s books based on criteria of experts in field.
- Identify some of the best authors and illustrators of children’s books.
- Discuss and evaluate multiple genres of children’s books.
- Analyze the value of a lifelong enjoyment of children’s books.
- Discuss how presenting books to children may impact their learning, creativity, and social skills.