ENGL& 244 : American Literature I
Survey of classic works as well as new voices from the beginning of American literature to the present. (H)
ENGL& 101 or permission of instructor.
- Read actively and analytically about individuals' and cultures' values, practices, behaviors, and expectations.
- Engage with the complexity of literature by thinking creatively and logically about what an author is communicating and how it relates to one's own beliefs and experiences.
- Analyze one's own values and how family, community, place, and nation influence them; consider one's identity in relation to people from varying backgrounds, cultures, and communities.
- Acknowledge different viewpoints and evaluate and challenge assumptions and conclusions-both one's own and others.
- Write pieces controlled by a central argument that are well-edited and supported with specific examples from the texts.
- Reduce fears and timidity in expressing opinions in a group setting, acknowledge the needs and expectations of others, and reflect on the impact one's participation has on a group setting and discussion.