Survey of world literature from diverse cultures and periods, including historical contexts. Selections will vary by quarter but will include translations from African, Eastern, Latin, and Western literatures. This class may include students from multiple sections. (Humanities, Elective)
ENGL& 101 or instructor permission
- Analyze and discuss works of world literature in relation to major historical events.
- Discuss a variety of literary genres: fiction, poetry, and plays, as well as academic writing: articles and books about literature.
- Explain the cultural and political contexts of given works of world literature.
- Demonstrate effectively, in writing, knowledge of assigned readings.
- Demonstrate ability to effectively research readings and themes for the purpose of writing about literature.
- Demonstrate appropriate vocabulary/terminology in regards to literary analysis.