Study of film as visual text, including key terms, primary practitioners, and major developments. Examination of film as transmitter of themes and values. This class may include students from multiple sections. (Humanities, Elective)
Eligibility for or completion of ENGL& 101
- Define and use specific vocabulary relating to filmmaking and the motion picture industry.
- Analyze motion pictures using established criteria.
- Describe some major developments, personalities, and movements in the history of filmmaking.
- Discuss films as texts that reflect our larger social and cultural value systems.
- Compare and contrast films according to their genres, styles, and narrative strategies.
- Write about specific films in depth using the language and techniques of Film Studies as a discipline.