FILM 102 : Film Genre
Introduction to study of film genre through looking at either one or several film genres, including literary, mythic, historic, and theoretical aspects. (H)
Eligibility for or completion of ENGL& 101.
- Identify, view, and discuss major works and individuals relating to the genre explored by the class.
- Identify and discuss major historical, cultural, economic, and/or political forces that helped shape the films explored in class.
- Identify major aspects of film style as they relate to the class's genre.
- Identify and correctly use appropriate film terminology.
- Explain and critically discuss the influence of historical, cultural, economic, and/or political forces on the films viewed in class.
- Explain and critically discuss (and/or write about) genre films as artworks and as commercial products.
- Explain and apply relevant critical theories about film genres.
- Compare/contrast films that are explored as part of the class's theme, according to critical criteria covered by the readings and lectures.
- Research appropriate secondary material about film genre through library and online sources.
- Assimilate research from secondary source material into an analysis that explores in depth a work or body of work covered in class.