FILM 102 : FILM GENRE
Introduction to study of film genre through looking at either one or several film genres, including literary, mythic, historic, and theoretical aspects. (H)
- Identify, view, and discuss major works and individuals relating to the genre explored by the class.
- Identify and discuss major historical, cultural, economic, and/or political forces that helped shape the films explored in class.
- Identify major aspects of film style as they relate to the class's genre.
- Identify and correctly use appropriate film terminology.
- Explain and critically discuss the influence of historical, cultural, economic, and/or political forces on the films viewed in class.
- Explain and critically discuss (and/or write about) genre films as artworks and as commercial products.
- Explain and apply relevant critical theories about film genres.
- Compare/contrast films that are explored as part of the class's theme, according to critical criteria covered by the readings and lectures.
- Research appropriate secondary material about film genre through library and online sources.
- Assimilate research from secondary source material into an analysis that explores in depth a work or body of work covered in class.
At a Glance
Eligibility for or completion of ENGL& 101.