A survey of Earth science including topics on rock and mineral characteristics, natural hazards, surface and groundwater environments, marine and continental environments, resources, land-forms, and global climate change. This class may include students from multiple sections. (Natural Sciences, Elective)
- Describe and explain the scientific method and the basic terminology, principles, concepts, and theories of Earth science.
- Distinguish between the three major rock types and identify common rocks and minerals.
- Explain the theory of plate tectonics and outline the geological evidence supporting this theory.
- Describe the physical and geological processes that shape the Earth's surface and identify common land forms created by these processes.
- Describe and explain the interactions between humanity, geology, and other Earth systems, with a focus on geological and physical hazards, including the consequences of global climate change.