Introduction to geology and survey of the processes that shape the surface of the earth, including water, wind, ice, and gravity. Topics covered include: plate tectonics, volcanism, earthquakes, the geologic time scale, and concepts of mineralogy and petrology. Lab included. Field trips may be required. This class may include students from multiple sections. (Natural Sciences with Lab, Elective)
- Describe and explain the scientific method and the basic terminology,principles, concepts, and theories of physical geology.
- Using laboratory procedures and field methods, distinguish between the three major rock types and identify common rocks and minerals.
- Identify and explain common land forms and the geological processes that led to their formation, including those found on the other planets and moons of our solar system.
- Explain the theory of plate tectonics and identify the three types of plate boundaries and the geological features that characterize each.
- Identify and explain the major eras of the geological time scale, including the major geological events and evolutionary developments that characterize these periods of geological time.