IELS 088 : INTENSIVE ENGLISH-HIGH INTERMEDIATE LEVELWRITING
This course is for non-native English speakers who wish to improve their English. The course will focus on academic writing skills at the high-intermediate level.
- Apply pre-writing techniques (such as free-writing, listing, clustering, outlining), to generate ideas.
- Write about a variety of topics, both concrete and abstract, with high-intermediate fluency and control.
- Limit topics using logical subdivisions.
- Develop a thesis statement that addresses a specific purpose and audience.
- Compose organized and developed multi-paragraph essays.
- Utilize a variety of cohesive devices effectively.
- Utilize sentence variety (simple, compound, complex, compound-complex) in essay writing.
- Demonstrate control of sentence structure types.
- Demonstrate control over syntax.
- Demonstrate control over intermediate grammatical structures and vocabulary.
- Utilize complex grammatical structures.
- Demonstrate a high-intermediate understanding of usage and mechanics.
- Apply strategies of peer feedback, error analysis, revision, and editing of written work to strengthen earlier drafts.
- Demonstrate ability to proofread and edit text.
- Understand the principles and practices associated with academic integrity including research, borrowing strategies, and citation.
- Use standard writing and formatting conventions (punctuation, capitalization, margins, indentation, and typing).
At a Glance
On-campus assessment in all skill areas or successful completion of IELS 085. Nontransferable.
Program: Intensive English Language Studies