MED 151 : MEDICAL BILLING AND CODING II
Medical assisting students receive advanced training in procedural and diagnostic coding and medical billing practices. Topics covered include ICD-9, ICD-10, and CPT coding, and hospital billing and coding procedures. Students will be instructed in the use of an educational electronic medical record (EMR) system. NOTE: Students need to have entry codes to register.
- Describe common periodic financial reports.
- Explain both billing and payment options.
- Identify procedure for preparing patient accounts.
- Discuss procedures for collecting outstanding accounts.
- Describe the impact of both the Fair Debt Collection Act and the Federal Truth in Lending Act of 1968 as they apply to collections.
- Discuss types of adjustments that may be made to a patient's account.
- Prepare a bank deposit.
- Perform accounts receivable procedures, including: a) Post entries on a daysheet, b) Perform billing procedures, c) Perform collection procedures, d) Post adjustments, e) Process a credit balance, f) Process refunds, g) Post non-sufficient fund (NSF) checks, h) Post collection agency payments.
- Utilize computerized office billing systems.
- Demonstrate sensitivity and professionalism in handling accounts receivable activities with clients.
At a Glance
Program: Medical Assisting