POLS 125 : Political Ideas and Ideologies
Introductory course aimed at familiarizing the student with important ideas and ideologies that have shaped the contemporary world. Ideologies to be explored include Liberalism, Conservatism, Socialism, Nationalism, Fascism, etc. We will explore the philosophical foundations that undergird different political and economic systems in the world. To promote a deeper understanding, we will also read a selection of original works of major contributors within the ideological traditions. (SS)
- Understand the importance of ideas to the study of politics.
- Be familiar and conversant with the basic features of the political ideologies found in the international system.
- Think critically and compare and contrast the different ideologies, both verbally and through written exercises.
- Understand and explain the political ideologies that inform the two major political parties in the US (Democrat and Republican).
- Recognize the shortcomings of various ideologies in theory and practice as they relate to nation-state governance.