PSYC& 100 : General Psychology
Introduction to science of behavior. Emphasis on biological foundations of behavior, cognition, learning, intelligence, motivation, memory, personality, and psychological disorders. This class will include students from multiple sections. (SS)
Completion of ENGL& 101 or concurrent enrollment.
- Describe the principles of psychology's major paradigms and understand the influence of major theorists on the role psychology plays in western civilization.
- Identify the methods of research and theory building in psychology.
- Describe basic neuron structure and function, and the function of the brain in rudimentary form.
- Demonstrate mastery of the learning foundation of behavior.
- Describe the basic stages, cognitive processes, functions and limitations of human memory.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of the concept of Consciousness.
- Understand the role cognition plays in language, decision making, and basic problem solving.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of social forces and their influence on behavior.
- Identify important symptoms and features of major mental disorder categories.
- Describe basic approaches to treatment of psychological disorders and the characteristics of treatment providers.