FILM 101 : Great Directors in Film
Introduction to authorship in the cinema. Examination of the work of a major director or directors. Exploration of the director's life, film style, and themes. (H)
Eligibility for or completion of ENGL& 101.
- View, identify, and discuss major works of the director.
- Identify and discuss major historical, cultural, economic, and/or political forces that helped shape the films explored in class.
- Identify and discuss major aspects of the director’s film style.
- Identify and correctly use appropriate film terminology.
- Explain and critically discuss the influence of personal (biographical), historical, cultural, economic, and/or political forces on the films viewed in class.
- Explain and critically discuss (and/or write about) films as artworks and as commercial products.
- Explain and apply relevant critical theories about film.
- Compare/contrast films that are explored as part of the class’s theme, according to critical criteria covered by the readings and lectures.
- Research appropriate secondary material about the director and his or her films through library and online sources.
- Assimilate research from secondary source material into an analysis that explores in depth a work or body of work covered in class.