Basic principles of nutrition across the lifespan. Details the digestive process, the digestion and absorption of macro and micronutrients including vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients. Examines the role of nutrition in the maintenance of optimal health and disease prevention. Includes analysis of personal dietary habits and the components of a healthful diet. This class may include students from multiple sections. (Natural Sciences, Elective)
- Explore the relationship of diet to health and fitness.
- Analyze and design the components of a healthful diet.
- Explain how carbohydrates, proteins, and lipids are used in the body.
- Discuss the role of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients in the human body.
- Describe the digestion and absorption of nutrients in the body.
- Explore and compare the metabolism of different macronutrients.
- Evaluate current nutrition issues and popular diets.